"We're in the middle of a financial crisis", they say. "Japan's economy has been stagnating since the late 1980s", they say. "China is where all the money is these days", they say.
Well, the very important thing that these hypothetical people are forgetting is that Japan is still very much the second largest economy in the world. To put that in other words - there is a LOT of money floating around here, and nowhere have I noticed it more so far than my trip to Harajuku and the Omotesando on Sunday.

Ever since I'd stumbled across Toyo Ito's work on the Tod's Omotesando building in my Year 12 design class I have wanted to go to visit it. The glass and concrete building, built to resemble the trees on the street in which it resides, was a great inspiration to me in my work.
When I woke up on Sunday to find it a mild, sunny, day, I knew that I could not waste it by staying in my room and doing homework. So, after a quick lunch at Yoshinoya (fairly cheap chain restaurant, which I think tastes pretty good), I took the Yamanote line to Harajuku. (For those of you that don't know, the Yamanote line is a circular train route that goes around various parts of central Tokyo. Well, to be specific, it goes around the uptown areas - the word literally means 'hands of the mountains')

Harajuku itself is a very interesting place.  To foreigners, it is the home of the famed 'Harajuku Girls' (google it and you'll see what I mean), and to the Japanese, it's a place for cheap (girls) clothes and sweet crepes (yeah, I don't know... check out the photo below). In fact, it seems like an area catered to girls in general - there were numerous shops selling male idol merchandise. I ventured into one in search of Tohoshinki goods and was rewarded by a Jaejoong keychain from a 200yen vending machine. As I was the only guy in the shop, though, I did feel sort of weird...


 
 
 

After I had walked down the main Takeshita-dori pedestrian street, I turned to the Omotesando - where the real shopping happens. If there is a well-known fashion brand that you like, chances are they have a store here. Prada, Bulgari, Lois Vuitton, Ralph Loren - to name but a few - all have amazing buildings here. The level of self-presentation of the people walking on the street was very high (as it is in most places I've been so far in Japan), apart from the tourists (of which there were many), and on the street itself many, many, many nice and incredibly expensive cars could be seen.
To give you an example, this man in, oh, you know, a red F430 Scuderia (looked and sounded SO NICE) just pulled over in the middle of the road while his wife stepped into the Louis Vuitton shop.



This Diablo broke down (?)


To be honest, not all people were allowed to flout the law so. I did see a silver SLR McLaren Mercedes recieving a parking ticket sometime later.


Not all of the cars were what one would call 'luxury', but they were certainly interesting:

 

I was out to find the Tod's store, but before I set off, I quickly watched the first lap of the Japanese GP on my phone. How convenient. While sitting down, I saw my first 'Harajuku Girls', who were, strangely, not Japanese:


I ended up walking up and down the street several times before finding it, including a rest stop at a cafe that served Lavazza coffee. The cappucino and muffin I had cost me more than my lunch (about $8 all up), but was worth it for the chance to have Italian coffee and to sit down a while.

Here are some of the buildings that I saw along the way, including, at last, the Tod's building:

 
 
 
 
 

In the end, I think my favourite was the Prada building (first photo there). Very cool.
Anyway, afterwards I decided to walk along to Shibuya in search of the massive intersection that you see in so many movies. Along the way, I even saw what appeared to be an Australian fashion building!



It goes without saying that I was distracted on my way to Shibuya station and my way home. In one CD shop, they had a very large section dedicated to Tohoshinki. They had everything - all the CDs, the singles, the DVDs and the photobooks. I had to walk out of there in a hurry lest I bought something - the keyring would have to satisfy me for now.
The big intersection wasn't all that hard to find in the end - it was right by the entrance to the station!


 


One day, I will return to the Omotesando to shop! *adds to self-goals list*

PS: I said I would write shorter posts, didn't I? Sorry...

9 comments:

  1. Robert said...

    Wew, looks like you had quite a day. The F430 I thought was cool, the Diablo caught my interest, but it was the McMerc SLR which dropped my jaw!
    Good to see you finally saw that Tod's building we looked at back in Design Class in Year 12, it is indeed very cool. That massive Shibuya intersection is awesome too! Nobody tried to drift through it whilst you were there, perchance? :D  

  2. James said...

    Dan, I think you're right. I would get myself into so much financial trouble in Japan. Boy Idol stores!? I'd never leave.

    We miss you here. :(  

  3. Christian said...

    Hey Dan,
    I have finally caught up on all your posts, really liking the detail you're going into, and sounds like your having a ball. There are a few things I could go all nazi like on, but we shall leave that :P Those buildings look amazing, but damn it's those cars that have me! You have seen an SLS! And a McMerc! So jelous!  

  4. Shahida said...

    Hi Dan!

    Urm, hope this doesn't sound odd (or freaky). I got to your page from a friend's (Alicia) blog. Seems like we live in the same dorm! I've seen you a couple of times, but we've never actually been formally introduced to each other. Anyway my name's Shahida and I am a huge Toho fan as well! :D (Hmm by some coincidence, I actually spoke to you last night, when I asked you about the letter? Yeah that was me. But I wasn't too sure who you were then. (&#@*(&@#!! Saw a couple of pics on your main blog-page so now I know!)

    Anyway. Yes, I just HAD to comment when I saw that you're as much of a Tohoshinki fan as I am! I've been to Shibuya twice, but I didn't come across the CD store with a whole section dedicated to the boys. I seriously doubt I'll have any self restraint if I found myself there; though I keep reminding myself to save up to see them in concert(s).

    By the way do you know that Avex is releasing a movie version of their Tokyo Dome concert?? It'll hit cinemas at the end of the month! If you want, we could gather a group of people and go together! :)

    Haha, hope you're not freaked out by this LONG comment. And we should hang out some time, especially if you're on any Toho-related missions. :D

    I'll be sure to say hi (more formally) the next time we run into each other!

    Shahida.  

  5. Daniel said...

    Hey Shahida,

    Nice to meet you! Yeah, I remember you coming to show me the letter with the odd name on it - did you end up finding out who it belonged to?

    There's going to be a Tohoshinki movie? What's it going to be called? Count me in for sure! I think I know a couple of other people who might be interested in coming too...
    Oh, yeah, are you planning on joining BigEast? I want to, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

    BTW, if you go to Shibuya, absolutely do not go to Tower Records. When you're not going there, take special care not to go to the 5th floor (I think) and the Korean music section. ;)  

  6. James said...

    The Tohoshinki movie is their 4th Live Tour - The Secret Code, just at movie theatres and with super special surround sound!

    Also, I hear you joined BigEAST!!!  

  7. Joe Grilli said...

    Now I have been accused of being a little one-eyed for Italian cars. But that yellow Lamborghini Diablo has not broken down. Its caring owner has lifted the hood to help cool down those hard working, glorious sounding 12 cylinders.  

  8. Andreas said...

    Shinagawa is the place to find rare cars =P  

  9. Daniel said...

    Where in Shinagawa? When I was there, briefly, I didn't see any...  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.