Ghibli Museum

My family are huge fans of Studio Ghibli's films. It started off when Matteo and I were very young - our dad, staying up late watching SBS one night in the early 90s, happened to stumble upon Porco Rosso. It must have just been released at the time, and the mix of Japanese animation (which has attained mainstream recognition these days but back then must have seemed very exotic) with an Italian setting and theme left him in awe. Apparently, he went out to find the movie on video the very next day, just so he could show it to his two young boys.
I have only the foggiest memory of a memory of this occuring, but in light of my recent fascination with Ghibli movies and (high quality) Japanese animation I am certain that the story has an element of truth to it. Something must have appealed to me while my mind was still young and malleable!

Because of this, there was no way that my family could visit Tokyo without a trip to the Jiburi Bijutsukan (Ghibli Museum). This amazing building is located in the middle of a park in quiet (compared to Shinjuku anyway) Mitaka, about a twenty minute train ride from Shinjuku. It was only a short walk from the station, but for the sake of the whole experience we took the nekobasu bus. I didn't get a photo, but imagine a small bus painted yellow and with stripes!

Along the way there were numerous signs pointing visitors in the right direction:


This was the moment we had all been waiting for - and Studio Ghibli did not disappoint. Hayao Miyazaki intended this museum to be a wonderland for its visitors - like something out of a fairy tale. Indeed, the soft, round shape of the building combined with immaculate attention to detail in all areas made one feel like they were stepping into one of Miyazaki's films.



Like many museums, we were not allowed to take any photos while inside. However, the Ghibli museum actually gave a reason for this restriction beyond simply wanting to protect their property - they believe that the museum should be experienced with ones own eyes, not through a viewfinder.
Inside there were many interesting things to be seen. One of the highlights for me was a permanent exhibit that showcased the history of animation. Through various moving models, they showed how the illusion of animation could be achieved. Although this exhibition really has to be seen to be understood, one example was a series of plastic figures rotating around a central pole which, when subjected to a strobe light, appeared to be moving (like a claymation film almost).
We were also treated to seeing a short film that was exclusive to visitors of the museum. While I could not understand much of it, I got the general gist of it and, like all Ghibli films, thoroughly enjoyed it.
One exhibit that I could not partake in was the fluffy nekobasu (catbus) filled with plush soot-balls. It was restricted to children 12 years and under.... I sure do miss being a kid :'(

Here's a picture of me with the giant statue on the roof, and a souvenir I picked up:

 

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Studio Ghibli museum - and especially because I was fortunate enough to go there with my family. I guess it's a case of 'you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone' - I never thought that I would miss my family this much~~ :)

PS: Went to the Tokyo Game Show today. Should do a blog post about that sometime soon!

5 comments:

  1. Robert said...

    Hmm, that looks very cool! I suppose I ought to watch more Ghibli films sometime, I've only seen Totoro.

    I want to hear about TGS. :P  

  2. Andreas said...

    Good to see you are having a good time, can't wait for the Game Show blog post =D  

  3. moment beauty &life beauty said...

    I like Totoro. My proffesor looks like Totoro.  

  4. Daniel said...

    Totoro is awesome!

    Yeah, I should write that game show blog post soon... maybe tomorrow night?  

  5. Sophia said...

    Daniel Daniel Daniel u make me so very jealous jealous jealous of you at the moment!!! :D  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.