Placement Test

On Wednesday we all had to take a Japanese language test in order to place us into the correct class level.


The test consisted basically of 'fill-in-the-blank' type questions, as well as a short essay in Japanese. I had never done an essay in Japanese before and my skills were a little rusty from being on holidays for so long, so I was apprehensive about doing the test.
It turns out that my worries weren't unfounded - but for all the wrong reasons.
There are eight levels of Japanese that you can be assigned to, and from looking at the course booklet I expected to be enrolled in level 2. This is because level one used the textbook that I had used back in Adelaide. We have 9 hours of Japanese class a week here, which is three times as much as I did in Adelaide, so one semester of study here is equal to 3 semesters back in Aus (basically my entire Japanese language experience). So I thought level 2 was a safe bet.
But I was wrong. For some unknown reason, I was placed into level 3. Waaa! While that is somewhat flattering, my Japanese really isn't that great and I want to pick up from where I left off. Luckily, we can change classes, so I will be doing that as soon as possible. I really want to learn Japanese!!

7 comments:

  1. Robert said...

    Very good! You'll be fluent by the time you get back no doubt :P  

  2. xiao hui said...

    COOL!!! sounds interesting~~
    but kinda scary that u hav to go thru a test straight away..  

  3. Rowan said...

    Congrats on exceeding your expectations in the test Dan! :D
    But it's also good to hear that you can change classes if you so choose as well. :)  

  4. Daniel said...

    Thanks guys!

    I certainly hope I'll be fluent by the time I get back!  

  5. Alicia said...

    Hey Dan! :D

    LOL, I haven't been able to say hi to you yet in person but!!

    Are you in 3Q? I got placed in level 3 too!  

  6. Daniel said...

    Haha, Hi!

    Yeah, I haven't seen you around... not that I really know who I'm looking for. Oh well! I'm sure I'll see you soon.

    I'm in class 3R BTW.  

  7. John said...

    daniel
    congratulations,

    i expect you to be able to fluently serenade many women in japanese when you return.  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.