EDIT: I added some pics of the Fiat 500 and that crazy gambling game~

Well, I'm not really lost. It's just that where we are staying is so remote that I could think I was.

We are in a region called the 'Garfagnana', right up in the north of Tuscany. We have rented a villa owned by an Australian woman, and it is situated in a teeny town up a hillside. The view from my bedroom window is fanstastic... I can see rolling, forest-covered hills, small medieval towns, a magnificent fortress, and mountains in the distance....
Right now, I am in a town a little further down the valley, and, while it is a bit bigger, I am on what I believe to be the only internet point (on the only computer) in the valley. Haha...

Last night, we went to a local festival. It was in a little pair of medieval towns nearby, and it was dedicated to 'faro', which was some form of grain (I thought it looked a lot like wheat). Anyway, it was quite entertaining, and very well organised for such a remote vilage festival. We payed at a 'cassa' (counter) at the beginning, and went through a series of stations, each where we were served a small portion of food, usually made from this grain (when I say 'usually', it is because we were served things like sausages and ribs.... haha) as well as wine (there were 8 stations, and you could have a glass, or more, of wine at each of them!!).
Perhaps the most entertaining things to be seen at the festival were not actually part of the stations per se. The first was an old Fiat 500, in racing livery with fat (and flat) tires and a MASSIVE engine which protruded from the rear of the car, parked on wooden blocks, apparently a monument of sorts. I'll show you guys a pic sometime-

The other was an intruiging game which was being played, involving a guinea pig and 20 small, numbererd wooden huts. The huts were arranged in a circle, with the guinea pig being placed in the centre, under a box. You could place bets on which hut the guinea pig would run into when the box was lifted.... it was just hilarious! You would never see such a thing in Australia, but if I was a bit younger it would be great to do it as a mission fate stall :D

Anyway, my dad wants to use the computer, so I had better be wrapping this up...

PS: Let me just say again how much I detest the european keyboard layout... so annoying...

4 comments:

  1. Robert said...

    Aah, sounds like you are definitely enjoying yourself. I am interested in pics of this crazy sounding Fiat also. :P
    It is good that you are keeping us updated so well, now if only we could convince James to do the same... :P
    Seeya soon!  

  2. Unknown said...

    lol cool! sounds like these small towns are quite tight knit and fun! look forward to seeing pics! the guinea pigs thing is funny! haha italians:) gotta luv them!
    have you found any nice EURO ladies :P hehe

    seeya soon  

  3. Unknown said...

    wow u must really be 'lost'! lol  

  4. Robert said...

    Wherefore art thou Daniel?
    Ye have not made a blog in 10 days!  


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.